Welcome to the Truth@Life Blog Site by Curtis Songer


If you receive value from these blogs, please consider donating to keep this blog site up and running. This ministry cannot continue without the generous donations of its readers. Just click on the "Donate" button to the right.

This blog site is loaded with tools to help you find what you're looking for. Here's how it works...

There are 5 threads of thought in this blog site:
1. Church Stuff - things pertaining to the evangelical Christian Church of today
2. Leadership Corner - concepts on management & leadership
3. Two Becoming One - principles of marriage enrichment
4. Train Up a Child - principles of parenting
5. Personal Thoughts - my mental ramblings on how God is growing me

I highly recommend you find an entry on one of these topics that interests you and click on that label at the end of that entry. It will bring up all the entries on that particular category. And be sure to check out the great web site links in the lower right corner of this page - Enjoy!

Monday, November 11, 2013

Great Leaders Become Great Followers

The following is a message given by Justin Dosch, Associate Pastor of Grace Community Church in Cranberry, PA, one of the 50 fasted growing churches in the United States - a 10 year old church averaging about 2200 per weekend in worship (interesting note: 4 of the 5 pastors are from the Baptist denomination). Justin has been one of my leadership development clients for the past year. In this message, he has summed up, better than I ever could have, some of the reasons I am a life coach and what I hope the true mission of Truth@Life is: Week 3: Follow Me - Great Followers Become Great Leaders By Justin Dosch November 10, 2013 What are the characteristics of a great leader? Leadership is influence, nothing more, nothing less. Jesus was the greatest leader of all time. If I am called to be a follower of Jesus, then I am called to be a leader. We are all leaders. What kind of leader am I? Where am I leading my people? When I follow Jesus where am I going? The Bible says: Jesus called them together and said, “You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (Mark 10:43-45 NIV) The greatest leadership principle is, "whoever wants to become the greatest must be the greatest servant - to give his life to others." Servant leadership turns the world's definition of leadership upside down. Jesus called you to be a follower so that you could be a leader. A change agent - an influencer of others. Based on this passage, what do leaders look like? 1. Leaders are humble. Leaders lift the influential ability of others. ALL our talents and gifts are from God! The greatness in me has nothing to do with me. The greatness in me has everything to do with God in me. We must look at every person as greater than we are, worthy of our time and service. 2. Leaders leave a legacy. If we don't mentor others, what we have been given dies with us. If we don't pass it on to others and teach them to pass it on to others, it dies. Jesus said - I have taught you so that you can teach others. An example of this is a succession plan - not just a future org chart - rather a development plan for those we mentor. Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. (Luke 9:23 NIV) What is your cross? Your cross can be thought of as your life mission and core values. It is what you would give up your entire life for. Do you know what those are? If so, are you living them with the purpose of influencing others? If you don't know them, it's time to find out! Truth@Life can help. Call 248-396-6255 or email me at curtis.songer@gmail.com for a FREE consultation. For more info on help I can provide check out http://truthatlife.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment