Welcome to the Truth@Life Blog Site by Curtis Songer


If you receive value from these blogs, please consider donating to keep this blog site up and running. This ministry cannot continue without the generous donations of its readers. Just click on the "Donate" button to the right.

This blog site is loaded with tools to help you find what you're looking for. Here's how it works...

There are 5 threads of thought in this blog site:
1. Church Stuff - things pertaining to the evangelical Christian Church of today
2. Leadership Corner - concepts on management & leadership
3. Two Becoming One - principles of marriage enrichment
4. Train Up a Child - principles of parenting
5. Personal Thoughts - my mental ramblings on how God is growing me

I highly recommend you find an entry on one of these topics that interests you and click on that label at the end of that entry. It will bring up all the entries on that particular category. And be sure to check out the great web site links in the lower right corner of this page - Enjoy!

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Worry about Worrying?

I used to worry. A lot. The more I fretted, the more proficient I became at it. Anxiety begets anxiety. I even worried that I worried too much! Ulcers might develop. My health could fail. My finances could deplete to pay the hospital bills. A comedian once said, "I tried to drown my worries with gin, but my worries are equipped with flotation devices." While not a drinker, I certainly could identify! My worries could swim, jump and pole vault! I asked a life coach who listened as I poured out my concerns and then said, "You need to learn to wait to worry." As the words sank in, I asked if he ever spent time fretting. I was quite certain he wouldn't admit it if he did. To my surprise, he confessed that in years gone by he had been a top-notch worrier! "I decided that I would wait to worry!" he explained. "I decided that I'd wait until I actually had a reason to worry - something that was happening, not just something that might happen - before I worried." "When I'm tempted to get alarmed," he confided, "I tell myself, 'You've got to wait to worry! Until you know differently, don't worry.' And I don't. Waiting to worry helps me develop the habit of not worrying and that helps me not be tempted to worry." I now frequently ask people what they were worried about this time last year. It's a great question because most people can't remember. Then I ask if they have a current worry - they always do. Then I remind them that the average worrier is 96% inefficient. Studies show that only 8% of what we worry about ever comes true. And about half of that we could not have avoided anyway. Charles Spurgeon said it best. "Anxiety cannot empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but it does empty today of its strength." Most of us want to be positive. It's advantageous to possess a sunny outlook. Doors open to optimists. They make friends, earn respect, close sales, produce loyal clients, and others enjoy and want to be like them - even to be around them. The question is how can we do that consistently? Do you struggle with anxiety? Truth@Life can help. Call 248-396-6255 or email me at curtis.songer@gmail.com for a FREE consultation. For more info on help I can provide check out http://truthatlife.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment