Welcome to the Truth@Life Blog Site by Curtis Songer


If you receive value from these blogs, please consider donating to keep this blog site up and running. This ministry cannot continue without the generous donations of its readers. Just click on the "Donate" button to the right.

This blog site is loaded with tools to help you find what you're looking for. Here's how it works...

There are 5 threads of thought in this blog site:
1. Church Stuff - things pertaining to the evangelical Christian Church of today
2. Leadership Corner - concepts on management & leadership
3. Two Becoming One - principles of marriage enrichment
4. Train Up a Child - principles of parenting
5. Personal Thoughts - my mental ramblings on how God is growing me

I highly recommend you find an entry on one of these topics that interests you and click on that label at the end of that entry. It will bring up all the entries on that particular category. And be sure to check out the great web site links in the lower right corner of this page - Enjoy!

Saturday, July 7, 2012

What Energizes Me? Do You Know What Energizes You? (part 1 of 2)

I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Revelation 2:4 Over the next couple blogs, I will give you some insight into what makes me tick, what I love to do. As you read this, ask yourself if you know what you love to do… I have a fundamental need for goal setting and achievement and am energized by it. I feel as if every day/week starts at zero and by the end of the day/week I must achieve something tangible in order to feel good about myself. If the day/week passes without some form of achievement, no matter how small, I will feel dissatisfied. It is like an internal fire burning inside me. Consequently, it brings me the energy I need to work long hours without burning out. It helps me to get started on new tasks and new challenges. This has been especially true in my work as a life and leadership development coach. Every week I ask myself “Where am I headed?” I need a clear purpose and sense of significance. Lacking the felling that my life is making a real difference in others’ lives, my life and work can quickly become frustrating. And so each year, each month, and even each week I set goals. These goals then serve as my compass, helping me to determine priorities and make the necessary corrections to stay on course. Accomplishing goals, or at least making appropriate progress toward my goals, is very energizing. Throughout the course of my life, my wife and others close to me have told me I have an unusual knack for helping others make the complex seem simple, to create order out of chaos. Being determined, logical, and discerning, I love a challenge, I am able to help others find the quickest, most direct path between what is and what should be. I excel at implementing ideas and am often on the lookout for good ideas worthy of my effort. I am quick to organize, orchestrate, find resources, coordinate, and follow through to the end of a project. I love a problem, especially one that will make full use of my competencies, my logic, and my sense of order. Consequently, I am energized by strategic thinking, planning, and problem solving. I am able to help others sort through the clutter and find the best route. I am told that this is not a skill that can be easily taught. Rather, it is a distinct way of strategically thinking, a special perspective on the world at large. It allows me to see patterns where others simply see complexity. Mindful of these patterns, I play out alternative scenarios, always asking, “What if this happened? Okay then, what if this happened?” This recurring question helps me coach others into seeing the end consequences of their decisions. I can assist in evaluating potential obstacles. Guided by where I see each path leading, I can assist others in making appropriate selections. I can assist them in discarding the paths that lead nowhere, as well as the paths that lead into unnecessary resistance. Together we cull and make selections until we arrive at the appropriate strategy. All of the above are good talents/strengths to have. But every strength, taken to its extreme can be a detriment as well. God has called us to use our strengths to do good. How well do you know yourself? Do you know what energizes you? How well are these factors integrated into the personal, professional, and spiritual dimensions of your life? Truth@Life can help you, regardless of your location. Call 248-396-6255 or email me at curtis.songer@gmail.com for a free consultation. If you receive value from these blogs, please consider donating to keep this blog site up and running. This ministry cannot continue without the generous donations of its readers. Just click on the "Donate" button in the upper right. For more info on help I can provide check out http://truthatlife.com/ or email me directly at curtis.songer@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment